Saturday, May 23, 2009

Let the Sun go Down in Belfast

After completing the day shifts with the guys, myself and a small group had the chance to jump back into some of the scheduled events. On Thursday, a small group got to head out into the green wonderland for a round of golf. I, on the other hand, missed the golf bus because I was eating a quick breakfast - then headed out to another event - a breakfast. I know, once I thought about it, it didn't make sense to me either. Afterwards, we headed down to Lisburn and visited their Fire Headquarters. Here we are in front of their building by a statue which looked like the firefighter's version of the Heisman Trophy. If that doesn't make since you'll have to Google it...




Of course since we were heading back to the fire station for our evening shift we were required to wear our uniform...a pattern I was unaware would continue for several days. The guys back at the station decided to delight my taste buds with a traditional Scottish meal. (one of the guys was from Scottland - and no one could decided what a traditional Irish dish was) They called it "Haugus, Nips, and Tauties" which roughly translated to Haugus, Turnips, and Potatoes. To spare you the trouble of looking up Haugus (which I don't even know if I spelled it right) it is multiple selections of meat, mixed in with a bunch of grains and "other stuff," and stuffed into a sheep's stomach and cooked... yep.



Since our station is right next to the Firefighters for Christ building we were able to run over to the scheduled evening event - a "quiz" Hmmm. It took some explaining to me to realize that this was a fun event for over here.
It did end up being quite fun - until our crew got called out on a fire call - yee haw...


Not bad huh... actually it turned out to be the same fire the shift before us had. Seems they forgot to put it all out. That's alright, it was Bob from Anahiem's shift...

We did make it back to the quiz just in time for dessert... I caught John visiting the table multiple times.
He kept saying he was holding it for Paul... That was after the "Jane's not here"
comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment